Vacations are the best. Exploring new places, new cuisines, walking through strange alleys all seem so fun. But what to pack and what not to is eveready to make us anxious before the trip even begins. And adding a pinch of headache is forgetting bottles of shampoo on bad hair days or tweezers to get a clean chic look which basically comes under essential travel toiletries.
Wait! You know toiletries, right? Or getting confused. No need to worry, I am here to clear out all your doubts. Leave the stress of packing the toiletries on me and packing will be a piece of cake. Let’s not miss the flight and get started.
What are Toiletries?
We know clothes, lingerie, cameras, books etc. but what the hell are those? Articles used in washing and taking care of one’s body like soap, shampoo, toothpaste etc.
Now you know what are these things and that you need them on your daily basis.
Is there any basic toiletries list?
Yes, definitely! We have sorted out a list of basic but essential toiletries for travel you will need definitely while you prepare for packing.
- Body wash/Soap: Pack a travel size body wash or better a soap bar for not being limited by liquid rule.
- Toothpaste: Pack a travel size mini toothpaste.
- Toothbrush: Something like foldable toothbrush with has antimicrobial bristles are great to pack.
- Mouthwash: Carry out travel sized bottles. You can even try out mouthwash tablets to make it lighter.
- Shampoo/Conditioner: Pack your favorite brand shampoo for the trip. You can even try shampoo bars for easy use. If you are using bottled shampoo, try to carry a travel-sized bottle and put a plastic wrap before putting on the cap so that it does not leak out in your toiletries bag while you are on the flight. Same goes for conditioner.
- Facewash/Scrub: Go for a travel-sized facewash tube.
- Feminine wash
- Razor: Disposable razors or electric razors are allowed to carry on bag. Pack one or two if you think you need a touch up while you are on holidays.
- Shaving cream: Travel-sized tubes are better. There is no point taking a big tube and making your bag pack heavy unnecessarily.
- Moisturizer/cream: Moisturizers and serums are must while you are away because your skin will be in a completely new environment. So, it needs lotion to stay hydrated. You can use a refillable pump bottle or a travel-sized version.
- Sunscreen: To lessen the liquid you are carrying; you can use these sunscreen sticks which are portable and as effective as lotions and sprays.
- Deodorant: For this too, you can use stick deodorant as an alternative to reduce liquid.
- Hair smoothing cream
- Hair moisturizer
- Hand moisturizer
- Hand Sanitizer
- Nail paint
- Nail paint remover
- Makeup Remover
- Styling brush/comb
If you use any other essential products, you can add it to your list. Packing becomes easy and efficient if you start with a checklist.
Now that you have prepared a checklist, its time to eliminate the items with which you can compromise while you travel. E.g. if you are cool with straightener and do not need curls, you can simply remove it from your list. Eliminating the items will help you in packing light.
How can we minimize the items of essential toiletries?
Of course, you would like to pack light with essential toiletries so that you can pack your favorite outfits and accessories.
- You can choose between straightener and curler and take one only while you leave.
- Instead of razor and shaving cream, you can do wax before the trip.
- For nail paint, you can get a manicure and for remover, you can use alternate wipes to eliminate not-so-important things.
- Do you really need different types of comb and brush for styling your hair? How about carrying a foldable brush and mirror?
- Find out accommodations which provide you with complimentary shampoo, soap etc. so that you do not have to carry these stuff. But if your scalp and body is sensitive, stick to your own preferred brand.
- You can also use multi-use products to lessen your toiletries stuffs like 4-in-1 facial cloth instead of face wash, scrub, makeup remover and makeup wipes. Or shampoo plus conditioner products. These little eliminations only will help you carry all substantial stuffs even without heavy packing.
- Make sure you plan out well the containers of your products according to your trip duration.
For short-journey you can try out these hacks:
- Baby powder as dry shampoo
- Conditioner as shaving cream
- Face scrub as body scrub
- Body moisturizer to smooth hair flyaways
Secret tip: Oils like coconut or other natural oils can be used for body moisturizer, shave gel and split-end treatment.
After elimination, its time for deciding out on toiletry bags.
How do we decide on toiletry bags?
- Before you start on your packing, check on what you are allowed to bring on plane.
Two types of bags are allowed:
- Carry-on bags: 100ml (3.4 ounces) or small sized containers are allowed to be taken inside a carry bag and through checkpoint security.
- Checked bags: Containers more than 100ml (3.4 ounces) regardless of the amount inside is allowed a checked baggage.
These are basically applicable for almost all airlines but still you must confirm about these through the airline’s website.
- Go for TSA-friendly toiletry bags for hands-on luggage. Also, keep a zip-lock reusable bag because it will be needful during the security check.
- See for the size of the bag according to the duration of your trip and the materials you are carrying with. Too small or too big, both will be frustrating enough.
- Use toiletry bad made of light-weight material because liquids will make it heavy by itself. Bags with mesh pockets are generally light.
- Make sure that the toiletry bag is water-resistant to elongate its lifetime. It can also save it from any liquid leak. It can happen why you are in the plane due to a change in atmospheric pressure. So, to save yourself from that, use a plastic wrap between the mouth of the container and the cap.
- Consider a handle for the bag to carry it easily. A clip or hook will also be a better option.
- Make sure to use separate bags for toiletries and makeup stuffs and you can also carry a first-aid kit if you want.
- If you are taking carry-on luggage, Liquid rule also applies on makeup, so keep mascara, foundation and other liquids in liquid toiletry bags and rest in checked baggage.
If you follow these basic steps, you will be able to organize your essential toiletries for travel easily and accurately without heavy packing and any important stuffs remaining out.
Have a Happy Travel!